Learn to Play
4 to 8 Year Old - New to the Game
Sylvan Lake Minor Hockey Association is proud to offer the Learn to Play Program for 4 to 8 year olds who are new to the game of Hockey. This Intro to Hockey program, is designed to teach the basics of hockey, with focus on skills in a fun, safe, age-appropriate learning program. Players are also taught fair play, cooperation and fun in the sport!
- Lower Cost - opportunity to try the sport with a lower financial committment. Entry into the program is $400.
- Paid Instructor - this will provide a consistent and structured model for players, giving them the opportunity to build confidence and develop their skills, while preparing them for U7 & up.
- Player Transfers - players will have the ability to move up into their age-appropriate division if they have displayed growth in their skills. All players interested must be approved by coaches and done so before the Christmas break. These players will pay the difference in Division fees at a prorated rate.
- 20-30 Ice Times - due to current health restrictions, this may be subject to change without notice.
- Station Based Ice - kids are split within their ages groups and circulate through skill stations.
- Games - will be played within the Learn to Play ice times and will be cross-ice or half-ice games.
- On-Ice Helpers & Mentors - we welcome Parent Volunteers & Jr. Coaches/Mentors from Novice & Up (on approval) to assist LTP players. This provides more one-on-one attention to skill development.
To register in LEARN TO PLAY, please be sure to select the LEARN TO PLAY (LTP) option during the Registration process.
Welcome Letter from our Director:
Learn To Play 2022-2023
I first want to say that I'm very excited about this program, it is our second year running this program at SLMHA. We hope to be able to add a Year-End Festival to the program as well.
For this program to reach its full potential and to give the kids the best experience that they could ask for, I will need some help. So if you are interested in being an on-ice Instructor, Equipment manager, Rink Safety person and Jersey people please let me know.
On-Ice Helpers & Coaches -
- Parent volunteers are required to have:
- Coach 1 Intro to Coaching
- Respect in Sport Coaching & Safety Certification from Hockey Alberta
- On-Ice Jr. Coaches - players from upper divisions will have the opportunity to be on-ice helpers & mentors. (Novice & Up) upon approval.
- Coaches will have the support of the Coach Mentor & Division Director
Welcome to SLMHA!
Learn to Play Director
What equipment does my Player need?
Starting out in hockey and not sure what all your child will need?
Here's a list of what you'll need:
- Hockey Stick
- Hockey Gear Bag
- Hockey Helmet
- Neck Guard
- Mouth Guard
- Shoulder Pads
- Elbow Pads
- Jock Strap (Boys) or Jill (Girls)
- Hockey Pants
- Shin Pads
- Practice Jersey
- Hockey Socks
Where do I find gear?
There are a lot of great local businesses who sell new & used hockey equipment in Sylvan Lake & Red Deer. There are also many online buy & sells that you could check out for used equipment.
There is a Sylvan Lake Minor Hockey Swap Shop page on Facebook as well! https://www.facebook.com/slmhaswapshop